History of the School
St Britto High School was founded in 1946 and is run by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) and has been helping raise and teach, generations of exemplary young men for over 70 years !
Indo-Portuguese historian Dr. Teotonio de Souza, who was part of the school's staff in the 1970s, says this was the third institution set up by the Jesuits in Goa.
Its founding was assisted by Valentino Pinto, a wine-merchant of Mapusa. Initially, the school was called Sacred Heart High School. Its previous owner faced difficulties in staffing and running it, and handed it over to the Jesuits on 22 June 1946, in Portuguese-ruled Goa.
The school's name was changed to St. Britto High School on 18 May 1948.
Fr. Sylvester D'Souza was the first principal of the schools taken over, and both were initially co-educational. The Jesuits transferred the girls from the schools to the Apostolic Carmel (AC) nuns, already active in education in Goa, who went on to form the St. Mary's Convent High School, also at Mapusa, along the Altinho hilltop, where St. Britto is itself located.
Initially, St Britto's functioned from the Bardez Gymkhana site. Priests running the school and boarders rented houses atop the hill, an inconvenient arrangement more so in Goa's torrential monsoons.
The new site of the school was purchased from Cipriano da Cunha Gomes. The Goa Archdiocese assisted construction with a loan. Fr. Ubaldo de Sá, of Moira, is credited with the construction.
Union High School, the pioneer English School in Salcette, Goa, was founded on 13th July, 1899 by the late Roque Santana Gracias. In 1932 it was acquired by the Archdiocese of Goa in the time of H.E. Dom. Theotonio Vieira de Castro, and called St. Theotonius Union High School. In 1944, this Institution was entrusted to the Goa Jesuits Society by H.E. the Patriarch Dom Jose da Costa Nunes. Now the school is known as Loyola High School, so named after the Founder of the Jesuits, St. Ignatius of Loyola.
The school, which is recognised by the Government of Goa, and prepares pupils for the Secondary School Certificate Examinations, is owned and managed by Jesuit Education Society (Goa) which belongs to the Christian Religious minority group.
The Society of Jesus to which the Jesuit Fathers and Brothers belong, is a Christian Religious Order founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1540. Active in the field of education throughout the world since its origin, the society conducts in India nearly 100 high schools and over a dozen colleges in which thousands of young people belonging to every social class, community and linguistic group are being educated through the medium of both English and the regional languages.
These institutions are part of the Catholic Church's efforts to share in the country's educational undertaking. This effort while being particularly responsible towards the Christian community, has always been at the service of the whole nation.
St. Paul’s High School has had a glorious past, with a legacy spanning 160 years of service and dedication to society, by not only the Founding Fathers – Jesuits, but also the dedicated Teachers who put their heart and soul into their noble profession.
160 years is a long time in the life span of any human being. However it is not a very long time in the span of an institution. St. Paul’s is one such institution that has stood the test of time, and lived to turn Boys into Men; men who work for the society, and contribute to the development of society at large.
Before the conquest of Belgaum by the British on 12th April 1818, the Christians of Goan origin who resided there were being visited occasionally by Portuguese Carmelites from Khanapur. One of them, Frei Clemente Mãe Dolorosa, stationed himself in Belgaum when a Regiment of the Brish Army was placed there in 1823. His immediate successor, however, suddenly left the place and went away. The British soldiers appealed to the Vicar Apostolic of Bombay in 1830 and from then till the official arrival of Jesuits in 1856, the station was ministered to by Carmelites owing allegiance to the Ordinary of Bombay. Fr. Patrick Sheehan, SJ looked after the place for a year (July 8, 1849 – June 1, 1850) and began extending the chapel of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel constructed by Frei Clemente at the site of the present High School building. The work was completed by Frei Maurice who, according to Bishop Hartmann who visited Belgaum on 10th March 1851, also began the construction of a school with separate classrooms for boys and girls. It is, however, not known when the building was completed and when the school was actually started.
St. Paul’s High School has had a chequered career. Its origin, although very humble, is lost in the haze of unrecorded history. Possibly, and to all appearances, very likely – it began as a parochial school for the children – boys and girls – of European troops stationed here. Tentatively, we may put down the year of its beginning as 1856, when the German Jesuits definitely replaced the Carmelite Fathers in Belgaum.
The School had a very humble beginning. The Fathers made the school not merely a place for the education of the children but also a community centre, around which the intellectual and cultural life of the people could revolve. The exact date of its founding has been lost in oblivion, but it seems to have been started as a small school attached to the Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel or what was popularly called St. Mary’s Church during the time of Fr. Charmillot SJ, an Austrian Jesuit of the German Province.
On 8th March 1854, the Deccan portion of the Bombay Vicariate was entrusted to the Jesuits, but it was only on 16th February 1856, that Fr. Henry Charmillot, was able to take charge of the military chapel and of the little school which was being run by the Sodality of the Holy Angels. In all probability, at the initial stage, the classes might even have been conducted in the corridors around the Church.
From these humble beginnings, St. Paul’s High School has over the years grown to be what it is today. Not merely have the number of students and buildings grown, not merely has the name and the buildings changed, but the type of education given and the whole outlook of the school are quite different. And yet, through all these changes, St. Paul’s has in some ways preserved and even embellished its pristine purpose, the original goal of its founding fathers.
In 1969, St. Paul’s started a Pre-University course which was initially a one-year course attached to Karnataka University. But due to unforeseen circumstances, the management could not continue the institute, and had to subsequently close it down by June 1975. The process of re-starting the P.U. College began in 2017. The launch/release of the brochure of “St. Paul’s Integrated PU College of Science and Commerce,” was held on 25th November 2017, by the Provincial, Fr. Roland Coelho SJ, at St. Paul’s High School, Belgaum.
On 9th October 2018 the new building of St. Paul’s P.U. College of Science and Commerce was blessed and inaugurated. Former Paulite, educationist and finance expert – Mr. Rajendra Belgaumkar was the Chief Guest. Former Paulite & Provincial of the Goa Jesuit Province – Rev. Fr. Dr. Roland Coelho SJ and Educationist – Mrs. Vidya Shahapurkar were the Guests of Honour. Inspiring messages were delivered by the Chief Guest, Guests of Honour and Principal to the students, teachers, and parents. Rev. Dr. Roland SJ said that it is a policy of the Jesuits to strive to inculcate and transform students as men and women of character and good citizens of the society.
Sangargalli is a village, near Gunji, in the Khanapur taluka of Belgavi District in the North Karnataka state. The Belgavi District shares its border with the Kolhapur District of Maharashtra. Gunji thus has a Marathi medium school because of its proximity to Maharashtra though located in Karnataka where the official language is Kannada. There is a primary school in Sangargalli.
The nearest English school is in Khanapur which is at a distance of 12 kilometres. Accessibility to this English medium school is poor as the neglected village roads are in a dilapidated state and travel to Khanapur is back breaking, tiresome and time consuming. Therefore, students who have a high calibre for pursuing intellectual study have been going to the Marathi schools which does not give them enough chance to compete at the national and international level.
The acute shortage of English mediums schools, the shortage of transport facilities and the lack of facilities in the rustic remote undeveloped villages, saps the little interest lingering in children to go to schools. If the children are to pursue English medium, they are to stay in hostels which leads them to separation from their parents. As the education in these schools is not interesting and exciting and also because of economic difficulties and demands of field work, budding pupils’ dropout of school and most of them go to their fields, graze the cattle.
Education which is an important factor for the growth and development of the children in in this area is neglected and children are at a disadvantage to enhance their academic status. Recognising the need for quality education, and feeling left behind in the modern world, many parents have approached us and have requested us, to start an English medium school.
Taking up the challenge we have started this English medium primary school at Sangargalli. 13 villages around Sangargalli at a distance of 3 to 6 kilometres, are benefiting from this endeavour. At present the nursery, the lower kindergarten and upper kindergarten are going on for the past 3 years. 2 years ago, we have managed to obtain the permission and recognition for starting the English medium primary school up to the 5th standard.
Our students are studying till the III standard. 2019-20 we will be beginning the IV standard and 2020 -21 the V standard. The school in the future intends to go up to VII standard and then to X std.
Khanapur is a taluka town in Belagavi district, in the state of Karnataka, India. It is about 26 km from Belagavi. The town is governed by the Khanapur Municipal Council. Khanapur is the headquarters for Khanapur Taluka. The town is on the Belgaum - Panaji National Highway (NH) 4A. Khanapur is well connected by train and road to important cities in Karnataka, Goa, and Maharashtra. Kannada, Marathi and Konkani are the main languages spoken in this town.
St. Paul’s English Medium School, is a Jesuit School located at Shivaji Nagar, Khanapur. Fr. Jacob is the principal and the Manager of the school. This school was started by Bro. Thomas to cater to children of the Dombari Tribe and other marginalized communities of the neighboring villages under the able guidance of Fr. Jacob who was then principal of St. Paul’s high school, Belagavi and Rosary high school Ajra. St. Paul’s school, Khanapur provides co-education starting from Nursery, LKG, UKG and Primary. Children from Khanapur and nearby villages like Manshapur, Harsanwadi, Bargaon, Nagurda (4 KM), Lokoli (6 KM), Manturga (7 KM), Chapagaon (9 KM), Nittur (9 KM).
At present there are 333 children (till 4 std) showing keen interests in English Education to improve their language proficiency and pursue quality education which will help them in the near future. The school is currently up to the IV standard and the building is under construction to accommodate the higher classes. The project will directly benefit the children who are presently enrolled in St. Paul’s School, Khanapur to complete their schooling and be better placed for gainful employment.
The school building will provide improved working environment for teachers, making them more effective in teaching their students and to enable all children to achieve highest possible standards in all areas of the curriculum which is broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated and also meets the needs of all children and their parents with special educational perspective.
Copyright © 2019 Religious Organization - All Rights Reserved.